Ready to Lose Your Glasses? Ten suggestions for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest developing fields of medicine. Never before have many scientific breakthroughs and new strategies emerged in such a short time period. LASIK surgery, which utilizes an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, provides countless individuals the chance to reduce or eliminate their need for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio ads are filled with incredible stories about LASIK surgery as the quick and pain-free method to remedy vision, but stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than successful. Before you decide to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist make sure that you will enjoy with your outcomes?
The essential to safe surgery in any field of medication is an informed client. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a doctor by getting referrals from other physicians or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Don't be More Info tricked by fancy advertisements about a specific laser. Select the doctor, not the laser.
3. Select a doctor who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. What a medical professional does not understand can hurt you.
4. Request information on your physician's LASIK eye surgery problem rates. If your doctor won't tell you, discover another one. For top surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
5. Ask exactly what measures are taken to prevent infection. Search for a center with a sterilized or dust-free operating room. Make sure that disposable parts are not reused. Insist that your eye is thoroughly disinfected, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be sterilized prior to your eye laser surgical treatment to eliminate the risk of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Be careful of ads pressing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount surgery is as good as a discount rate parachute. The possible cost savings are unworthy the risk of getting less than professional care!
Anticipate to see really well after LASIK, however don't anticipate to see perfectly. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as private as each patient. Beware of any physician who promises 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a tough sell, you probably are. You're not purchasing a automobile; this is real LASIK eye surgical treatment.
If your level of nearsightedness This Site is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably offer better vision than LASIK. Ask your medical professional about them and other recent advances.
10. While you examine, do not forget the advantages: for many people, a life time of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has enhanced the vision of countless people around the world.